Call Now for an Appointment (973) 383-7415
oseph M. Hoffmann, Esq.
Attorney at Law
Wills, Trusts, Estates & Planning
21 Main Street, Newton, NJ 07860
Obtaining an Identification Number
for a Business or an Estate
- All corporations, LLC's, partnerships,
and most trusts, estates and businesses are required to have a federal identification number "EIN" for tax purposes. You will also
need your EIN to open a bank account.
- To obtain an identification number for your entity. You should visit www.irs.gov/businesses.
site only allows you to obtain identification numbers during certain morning business hours. You do it by filling out form SS
– 4 online.
- Click on "Apply for an EIN online" on the IRS website.
- Complete the interview form which is simple and print out the EIN
which the IRS assigns and use it for opening bank accounts and filing any required tax returns.
- A "responsible party" is required to
apply in order to obtain an EIN. This is usually the executor, corporate officer or managing partner. If you are applying
for an estate, you will need to decedent's social security number.
- Our office and your accountant can help you to the extent needed
but we generally can not obtain your EIN for you unless we are the responsible party.
Offices of Joseph M. Hoffmann
Attorney at Law
21 Main Street
Newton, New Jersey 07860
© 2012 Joseph M. Hoffmann, Esq. All Rights Reserved
Joseph M. Hoffmann, Esq. is a Lawyer who represents clients in New Jersey and serves:
All of Northern NJ including: Sussex County | Warren County | Morris County | Passaic County | Somerset County | Union County | Newton | Andover | Sparta | Branchville
Morristown | Vernon | Sussex | West Milford | Hopatcong | Rockaway | Dover | Mt. Olive | Hackettstown | Randolph |